<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Old Headboard to Craft Nook (My New Craft Space)

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Old Headboard to Craft Nook (My New Craft Space)


My new work space is complete and I'm excited to share the details with you today.
As many of you know, I created a craft closet in my home last spring.


It brought some exciting attention/press to Fancy Frugal Life.

Six weeks ago we moved to Central California for my husband's job and found a house with this "nook" area. It is located under the stairs and is a pass through from the living and dining room. To the left is the sliding door to the backyard.
A few months earlier I found this headboard on the curb of our old neighborhood and rescued it thinking I'd make it into a puppet theater or something creative for my kids.
Well my husband had the genius idea of using it as craft space storage and together we made this space happen!

After lots of priming, filing wholes, sanding, and white paint I got this result.
My husband also shortened the piece by 6 inches.
Yay for a hubby who knows power tools since I don't! :)

When we went to Lowe's to buy pegboard, they told us we could have anything for free in the scrap pile next to the saw!! There was a huge piece of pegboard and other wood in there! Whoohoo..


I painted the pegboard with Valspar Crystal Blue in satin... 

We attached that to the back as well as a towel bar in the front of the cabinet.

Here we are drilling circles in the sides for two dowel rods to hand across the inside of the cabinet for wrapping paper and ribbon storage.

A family that sands together......

Here's a pic of one of the dowel rods...


I bought some pegboard pins to hang craft supplies.
Also my husband framed a small strip of molding around the top of these inexpensive bookcases that used to be in the garage...It makes it look polished I think.


Here's another before pic. So there are two inexpensive book cases on both ends of the cabinet, and then we built a counter coming out from the wall. I did buy a new cabinet from Lowe's with square shelves to make a desk appearance.
Here's a shot of how my husband made a the counter.
I primed and painted it.

There are quite a few mini color transformations in this space.
A thrift store tray for my mason jars...

I used leftover pegboard to hang my painted clipboards with whiteboard adhesive, and hung a dollar store bucket for markers.

 This was a random chair left in the garage when we moved in.
Cute Pier One Imports clearance pillow..$9.

That big white basket now holds sewing projects that need to be completed.


My husband made me this shoe organizer about 5 years ago and in this house the master closet isn't big enough for it (which also meant two boxes of high heels from my previous office environment job gone!)
Anyway, I painted this piece white as well.
It makes great craft storage now!



 Here's another thrift store tray makeover with paint and contact adhesive paper.


I made over some random boxes in my garage as well for a more uniform storage look.
I do love making labels with chalkboard adhesive.

Also some file holders..

My shelves are covered with the adhesive paper too. I bought two rolls at TJ Maxx for $5.99.
Mason Jars and painted thrift store items are my favorite ways to organize!

”Tip
I was able to use all of the key items from my craft closet, like chevron fabric bins via Target, the yellow magnetic paint message board I made, pant hanger ribbon storage, and just expand my work space.

So what do you think of my free headboard, free wood, and thrift store painted items?! And who wants to come over and hang out in the craft nook? :) 
Joining:

House on the Way




Bloom Designs Online



SNAP!

The 36th AVENUE

Little Inspiration
Create & Inspire Linky Party
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

”Tip
mop it up mondays


Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {6-19}

”Tip UndertheTableandDreaming
31 Days of Organizing Fun
SixSistersStuff.com
n

Visit thecsiproject.com

23 Comments:

At October 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Blogger -danielle- said...

I'm LOVING it !!
great use of old items brought to life !! thanks for sharing :)
Danielle - CraftPlayLove.com

 
At October 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Blogger -danielle- said...

forgot to mention how EXTREMELY jealous I am of your freebie peg board! I'm dying to stumble across one, myself :)

 
At October 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Pitter and Glink said...

This looks amazing! I love the color scheme and how you used a lot of different pieces to make one awesome piece!

 
At October 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Sara Pierce said...

This is kind of brilliant!!!

 
At October 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM , Blogger Laurie @ Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc. said...

I have a whole room to store my crafts, but it looks nowhere as beautiful and organized as your nook. Can you come to NY and help a girl out? :) You did a fantastic job!
Laurie - Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc.

 
At October 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Carrie said...

The whole thing is fabulous. Lots of great work & heart into this project.

 
At October 4, 2012 at 4:55 AM , Blogger Beth said...

What a great headboard to find for just this kind of purpose! And you can't beat the price, eh? The whole thing just looks fabulous!

 
At October 4, 2012 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Well, you fancy pants, you! I love it! It's so pretty and organized. Love the brightness and the colors. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Southern Lovely. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-17.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

 
At October 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Ronda Batchelor said...

Looks great. Love to find others like myself who take lots of odd stuff and put it together to make a great new thing. You should come check out my office/craft room. I'm doing the same thing of taking different pieces to make one new room.

 
At October 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM , Blogger Boutique Girl Gifts said...

Looks fantastic! I'm always amazed by people's ability to look at a bunch of random stuff and visualize it painted up and in a different way. True inspiration!

 
At October 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Laura said...

I think it looks great! I too have an affinity for mason jars, trays, and spray paint. ;)

 
At October 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

oh, I love love LOVE it! And I love the colors you've chosen! Fantastic.

 
At October 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

FANTASTIC! love love love it all. I hope you come by and link it up to COM-Monday this evening. Hugs, jen

 
At October 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger KC Coake said...

Positively gorgeous! So much fun stuff to look at and so many great colors. Lots of visual eye candy. Great job and great use of a pass through space.

 
At October 8, 2012 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Three Chicks & One Egg said...

Wow, what a great space! I love the colour and repurposed items that you have incorporated. Thanks for the inspiration! If I were in CA I'd definitely be wanting to head over to do some crafting!

 
At October 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Ashley C. said...

Are you kidding - that's crazy amazing!! I'm super impressed with the upcycle - got to love the free stuff!

 
At October 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Incredible! I love it! I found you from Serenity Now's Link Party! Had to pin this one!

Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations.
http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

 
At October 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's awesome! This would be great to turn my office into a craft room. Thanks for the great idea!

 
At October 26, 2012 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Jo Ann said...

What an amazing idea and how beautiful! I love it!

 
At October 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Jessie K said...

That's pretty wicked awesome! I love the colors and patterns! Thanks for sharing!

(PS came over from Under The Table And Dreaming)

 
At October 30, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Blogger cherished bliss said...

What an awesome space! I love how you used the old headboard! I pinned for later when I get around to organizing my craft room ; ) Have a great day!

Ashley

 
At November 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

The headboard transformation is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I'm going to be on the lookout now until I find one! HA!

I'm hosting a craft/recipe party and would love for you to submit this! :)

http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/11/show-licious-craft-showcase-9-blog-party.html

Marti

 
At November 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Paula said...

Amazing! Feel free to come to my house and fix up my craft room/office!! :-) We'd love for you to link this up at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/11/riverton-housewives-round-up-42.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home